Thursday, April 17, 2014

Chicken Noodle Soup

Hi There!

Ever since I got back from Taiwan, I've been trying to get the fam bam back on track.  It took a while to get over the jet lag.  I probably cooked a whopping total of once last week.  But this week is a little better, therefore I was able to make some delicious dinners.

Yesterday the boys had Chinese tutoring right after school.  We didn't get home until 5:30 in the evening.   So I decided to make a pot of Chicken Noodle Soup.  So easy and quick, and it's got all the nutritious stuff in there.  Here's the recipe:

Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients
7 quarts water
1 whole chicken
6 stalks of celery
4 carrots, peeled
3 small onions
6 Roma tomatoes, or 3 beefsteak tomatoes
3 tablespoons of salt
half a package of pasta (I used min wheels, but any shape will do)
cilantro, chopped up into tiny pieces

Optional
I couldn't find celery in the Japanese market I went to yesterday, so I substituted celery with cabbage and mushroom.  Perfect for my husband because he hates celery.  And sure enough, he loved the soup last night!

Steps
1) Fill pot with chicken and water, cook chicken until boiling.  Dump water.  This step is to clean the chicken and cook off all the bacteria.
2) Fill pot with fresh water again, cook chicken until boiling again.  Turn down heat and let cook with a soft boil.  You will let chicken cook like this for the next 2 hours.  Flavor the stock with salt.  Add or subtract accordingly.
3) Chop all vegetables into 1-inch size, set aside
4) Cook pasta according to package directions, when done, set aside.
5) When chicken is about an hour into cooking, throw all the vegetables and pasta in
6) Throw in cilantro 15 minutes before soup is done.  
7) You can flavor your own bowl of soup with a few splashes of Tapatio sauce if you'd like.  Adds a kick to the soup.  

Serves at least 8 adults as a meal!



Xoxo,
Lin


No comments:

Post a Comment