Monday, January 27, 2014

Another Tofu Dish!

What can I say, my family (ok, maybe not the boys), LOVE tofu.  My daughter will eat tofu all day long if I let her.  And why not?  It's so good for you.  I love tofu.  I love it in any texture.  It captures the flavor of anything you pair it with.  It's like miracle food.  I can give you 10 different dishes I make with tofu, easily.

So today, I'm presenting you with something I make all the time.  I made this last week for dinner.  I have also perfected this dish as well.  For all you Chinese friend out there, you know this dish all too well.  It's something you've eaten growing up.  It's like the easiest yet tastiest dish to make.  Ok, ladies and gentlemen, drum roll please...

MA PO TOFU!

 

You're probably like, "WHAT??  Seriously?"  Well, I'm sure a lot of people have had this before, but it's SO delicious!  I wanted to share this recipe for the people that have never made this before just because I love it so much.  It's SO EASY to make.  Here's the recipe:

1 package of tofu (the regular kind - silken is too soft for this)
1 pound ground beef
1 stalk green onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tsp corn starch
1 tablespoon water
2 tsp hot sauce - optional (I used Sriracha)
3 tablespoons oil

1) Cut tofu into small cubes, set aside. 
2) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in frying pan (I used my trusty wok), throw in ground beef and stir fry until nearly done.  Scoop up, set aside.
3) Heat remaining oil in frying pan, throw in chopped garlic, let cook until golden.  Put in tofu, gently toss around until coated with oil.
4) Add ground beef and soy sauce.  Stir fry until everything is cooked.
5) Mix water and corn starch in a small bowl.  Pour mixture into tofu dish.  Stir until dish turns into a gooey texture.
6) This part is optional.  Add hot sauce.  I usually scoop up some tofu for the little ones, set aside, then add the hot sauce to the remaining dish for me and my husband.  Then I add the chopped green onion (my little ones aren't fans of that either).

Serve hot!  Once the dish cools, the gooey texture from the corn starch goes away.  This dish is meant to be served in a thicker texture.  But if you don't like it, you can skip it.

Now, here's a disclaimer.  All the measurements I list in the ingredients, I kind of just estimated.  I don't cook using measuring tools.  My mom didn't, and I don't either.  I just kind of eyeball it, and from 15 years or so of cooking experience, my food usually turns out pretty delicious.

Happy cooking!  Thanks for reading!

Xoxo,
Lin




No comments:

Post a Comment