Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Rebirth! ...and a Delicious Recipe!

It's been SO long since I last posted a blog...I just never knew what to blog about.  I mean, there are fashion blogs, food blogs, makeup blogs, home decor blogs, mom blogs, etc, etc.  I'm not an expert in any of these areas...sometimes I'm barely making it through the day!  Then last night, a light bulb went on.  I was thinking, what if I blogged about all these things?  I can do a mesh mash of everything that I am!  I'm a mom, I don't look like a super model, but then I've been told I've got some style here and there.  I know how to highlight the good features and hide the flaws (those darn hips).  And exactly how many of us are supermodels anyway?  Alright, maybe I can post some fashion stuff.  I'm not a master chef, but I can cook, and the food I put on my dinner table are healthy, easy to make, and tasty.  Ok, I can post some recipes too.  I'm not a professional makeup artist, but I can make myself look decent, know which products to use.  I'm not a child psychologist, but I've got 3 kids...ok, you get the gist.

So here I am, right after MLK day, and finally having a little moment to myself to start back on the blog.  It feels strangely quiet, having had 3 crazy kids screaming and running through the house for 3 straight days.  So even though I'm coveting this rare quiet time, I need some background noise - I've got Elementary playing on my DVR.  I made a really delicious dish last night that I wanted to share with you guys.  It's a Korean dish that my college room mate taught me how to make, and since I've been making this for a long time (ha, understatement!) now, I've got it down to perfection.  This is easy, delicious, nutritious; you've got your protein and your veggies in this one dish. I've had to make it three different ways to accommodate everyone's taste (no vegetables for the boys, no egg whites for my daughter).  But since my daughter has gotten over her egg allergy, and she loves the vegetables I put in this dish, I just tell the boys, "Too bad, eat the veggies or you get nothing!"  Well, they're eating it now!

Korea Beef Patties

1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion
1 medium carrot
1 box silken tofu
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt (or less, depending on preference)
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil for frying

1) peel carrot, shred it into fine shreds.  I find cheese graters to be perfect for this job.
2) chop onions into tiny cubes
3) combine carrot shreds, onion cubes, ground beef, tofu, salt, and garlic powder.  I just make sure my hands are washed really clean and then I get down and dirty with the ingredients.  Set aside.
4) heat vegetable oil.
5) use your hands to form the beef mixture into patties, dip them into the beaten eggs, then fry in frying pan.
6) to speed up the frying process, I usually cover the patties while they're frying.  I fry the patties for about 5 minutes each side, then I lay them on a paper towel lined plate for the oil to be absorbed.

Then voila!  You just enjoy!  You can either eat it the way it is, or dip into various sauces like my family does.  I like mine with ponzu sauce.  My husband likes his with tonkatsu sauce.  And my children like theirs with ketchup.  To each their own!

Lin






No comments:

Post a Comment