Friday, January 24, 2014

Valentine's Day Goody Bags



It seems like Christmas was just yesterday, and the stores are already displaying items for the next holiday - Valentine's Day.  I don't know about you, but ever since our kids were born, holidays are all about them.  And when holidays come around, I'm always trying to think of what to give their classmates.  Sure I'll do the cards on Valentine's Day...but I want to do something more, since this is my daughter's first year at school.  I didn't want to do the usual stuff, stickers, tatoos, pencils, erasers, plastic toys, etc.  

Don't get me wrong. My kids love goody bags in all shapes and sizes, especially K.  I can always use those pencils and erasers now that the boys have actual homework to do.  But those plastic toys..I'm just not a big fan.  The kids play with them for about 2 minutes, then they get tired of them and toss them either on the floor, all over the couch, or on the dining table.  If I'm lucky enough to avoid stepping on them and giving myself a huge gash in my foot, I have to pick them up and toss them in the trash.  Which ends up in the landfill.  Ugh.

So every time there's a holiday, I try to be original, or I try to find things that they can actually use.  This Valentine's Day, for K's pre-school class, since there aren't too many of them, I decided on giving the kids something they can use their imagination on.  And the best part of it is, it's recyclable!  I now present you with...

ORIGAMI PAPER!


Yup, origami paper.  The possibilities are endless.  This little sheet of colored paper can turn into whatever you want it to be.  The kids can use their creativity and make anything out of them.  And since it's paper, it's totally recyclable.  I LOVE that.  How many people give origami paper as Valentine's Day favors?  You don't even have to limit this to Valentine's Day!  Halloween, Christmas, Birthday favors...heck, do a St. Patrick's Day goody bag if you want to.  :)   I found some origami folding instructions online (just Google "origami folding instructions").  Given it's a Valentine goody bag, I chose hearts.  Here's the diagram I printed out:

I had this printed earlier but can't seem to find the site where I found it. Google (hence Blogger) shut down for a while and I lost track of things. But click here to another origami heart instruction.

I cut the sheet I printed in half (since they're two different instructions), and inserted a half sheet in each goody bag along with the origami paper:

I got the tiny origami papers at my local Daiso store.  For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a Japanese dollar store.  Everything there is $1.50.  Since Baby K's class is relatively small, I can do a pack of origami paper for each student.  I wouldn't do it for the boys' classes.  There are just too many kids.  There are about 500 sheets of paper in this particular pack.  You can open the packs and divide up the portion.  You can even buy just one pack and insert, say, 25 sheets, in each bag.  That's plenty for little ones.

If there's no Daiso near you, try the local craft store.  Amazon sells them too.  Click here for some.

Well, that's it for today's post!  Hope you liked my idea!  Come back often and come back soon!  If you like my blog, please comment below, and follow me!  Thanks for stopping by!  Happy Friday, everyone!

Xoxo,
Lin
 

No comments:

Post a Comment