Thursday, January 23, 2014

Top Ten Quick and Easy Breakfast Ideas

Ok, so I see these "Top Ten" lists are very popular on blogs these days.  I couldn't resist making one of my own.  Again, my post involves food...what can I say?  I love to eat and I'm a pretty good cook.  And these are the least time-consuming posts since I cook nearly everyday for my family anyway.  When I get the chance to make myself look halfway decent, I might post some style advice and some skin product recommendations...

I'm sure a lot of parents already know half the stuff on this list, but for those of you who are new to school  aged children, I compose this list for YOU!  It is SO hard trying to get 3 kids ready in the morning; having to be at school at exactly 8am.  So often times I have my kids eat in the car on the way to school.  It takes us about 20 minutes, so that's plenty of time for breakfast.   Hopefully this list gives you some alternative ideas...

In no particular order, here it goes!

10) Cereal - I'm SO not proud of this one, but on those days when we're running incredibly late, I just pour some in a tall cup (to prevent spilling), pour some milk in, stick a spoon in it, and...VOILA!  Who knew you can eat cereal in the car too?

9) Frozen Waffles - You can get any kind at the grocery store, but I find the Trader Joe's Frozen Belgium Waffles to be delicious.  Seriously.  I just toast them in the toaster, cut them into cubes when done, put syrup on them, some chopped strawberries and/or bananas.  And again, in the tall cups, stick a fork in it, and you got waffles on the go!  Or, you can make waffle sticks.  Cut waffles into strips, then put them in a syrup-filled cup.  Forks aren't even needed!

8) Pancakes - this one takes some time to make, so I don't make it as much.  Sure, I can also use frozen pancakes in the market, but I don't know.  I'd just rather make my own.  I'll make a whole bunch then freeze them.  When I need some, pop them in the microwave for about 20 seconds.  Add syrup and fruits.  And again in the tall cups!

7) Scrambled Eggs - I put shredded cheese in mine.  Makes it even tastier.  If you have time, and you're able to actually eat this on the breakfast table, you can place your scrambled eggs in the middle of the plate, cut up a piece of toast into 8 wedges, then place the toast around the eggs, pointy side out.  Voila!  It's a sun!  My kids LOVE this one.

6) Quesadillas - my kids are so picky.  They want nothing to do with their quesadillas if they're filled with anything other than just cheese.  But you can do chopped avocados if your kids will eat them.

5) Egg Burritos - Not your typical breakfast burritos.  This is the Chinese style.  What I do is I beat the eggs, add some salt in them, pour them on the pan (with about 2 tsp of oil), swirl it around so the egg coats the pan.  Heat until the bottom is cooked but the top is still a little wet, like this:

Then I put a piece of tortilla on top.  Flip the whole thing over so the tortilla is on the bottom, like this:

Let cook until the wet part of the egg is cooked.  Then you lay the whole thing on a flat surface, roll it up:

then cut into 4-6 pieces.  Depending how big you want them.   The end result looks like this:


4) Onion Pancakes - you can buy the frozen ones at the Chinese markets.  They look like this:

Then all you do is heat them up in the frying pan (oil optional), until it's golden brown, then go on the other side.  I then use a pizza cutter and cut them into wedges.

3) Oatmeal - This takes some preparation ahead of time.  So set aside some time on Sunday afternoon for this.  My nanny cooks these for us because her version is so delicious.  No instant oatmeal here!  She makes it with brown sugar, milk, chopped apples, and a little bit of cinnamon.  Then when they cool, I put them in ice cube trays and freeze them.  Once frozen, I dump these oatmeal cubes in freezer size Ziplock bags.  When I need them, I just pop them in my microwave!  My rule of thumb is 15 seconds for each cube.

2) Trader Joes Hash Browns - these are SO convenient!  They are formed like the McDonald's hashbrowns, use a little bit of oil to fry for 4 minutes on each side, and they're super crispy.  Cut them into fours, put them in a cup, and pour some ketchup on them.  This is what the packaging and the hash brown looks like:



1) Yogurt Parfait - My children (ALL 3 of them!) love these.  I use a clear cup because it's so pretty to look at.  Makes the kids want to eat them more too when they're aesthetically appealing.  I layer mine in this order, from the bottom up:  jelly or honey, yogurt (I use Greek yogurt, healthier), granola, then chopped fruit.

I hope this list gave you some ideas to change up your breakfast routine a little!  My boys are so picky...I can't have two of the same things given to them two days in a row.  So I have to change it up.  Thank you for stopping by!  Tomorrow, if I have time, I'll post a Valentine's Day goodie bag idea that should be more interesting to assemble than the usual ones you get (stickers, tatoo, you know what I mean).  Come back tomorrow!

xoxo,
Lin

4 comments:

  1. Ok, so I commented on how great these ideas were... and that I wished Dylan was as good an eater as your kids. And then Blogger seemed to publish my comment twice, so I removed one. Which seemed to remove both. Just letting you know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting!!! You rock, Keren. :) BTW, I absolutely LOVED your family photos. You have a beautiful family - Dylan is too precious for words!

      Delete
  2. Tried the Chinese style egg burritos and the kids loved them. They will go on regular rotation. Thanks Lin!

    ReplyDelete