Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Ketchup Shrimp

I never knew this until I grew up, but my mom is one heck of an awesome chef.  We didn't have much growing up, but my mom would make the most amazing delicacies out of very simple stuff.  The amount of time she would put into each meal, all the chopping, the mixing, dicing, etc, pairing her dishes into something that not only tastes great, but looks beautiful as well.  I thought all mothers cooked like she did.  Who knows, maybe they do, but her food rivals those from restaurants, and to me, they're always the best tasting ones.

So this was one dish she created and I had forgotten about until recently.  I'm not a big fan of shrimp, but these I do like.  I had to start making shrimp because my children like them, so I was wracking my brain trying to think of a tasty way to make shrimp.  Then I remembered my mom's ketchup shrimp.  The sweet and sour flavor combined with the mixture of ginger, garlic, and green onion makes this irresistible.  Eat this over some plain rice, and you'll find yourself not only mixing the sauce into your rice, but licking the sauce off your fingers as well.



Ingredients:
1 lb shrimp (shell attached)
ketchup
ginger, slices
garlic, diced
green onions, diced
salt
wine
sugar
oil

Instructions:
1) Heat oil in large pan
2) Stir fry ginger, garlic, and green onions
3) Add shrimp, stir fry until it's half done
4) Add ketchup, salt, wine, sugar, and a little bit of water.
5) Mix everything, lower heat, cover and let simmer for about 5-8 minutes.
6) Remove lid, turn up heat, and stir fry for another 3 minutes
7) Enjoy!

You can make this dish with shrimp that have been peeled, or with peel still on.  I like it unpeeled, I feel that the peel preserves the moisture a little to prevent overcooking the shrimps.

Hope you liked these shrimps as much as my family did!

xoxo,
Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment