Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Stir Fried Eggplant with Ground Beef

Happy Wednesday!

I made this dish two weeks ago but didn't have time to post the recipe.  So since basketball season is over (thank goodness!), Wednesdays afternoons are open! 

Eggplants are tricky.  I never liked eggplants when I was a child.  But when I grew up, I loved them.  Whether it's cooked the Chinese way or the Italian way, its flavor is one of a kind.  When I cook stir fried eggplants, I usually use the Asian kinds, the long, skinny ones, that have a lighter purple hue than eggplant aubergine.  But I was craving eggplants, and I just didn't want to make the drive to the Asian market.  So I got an eggplant aubergine from Pavilions.  And what do you know, it tastes just as good!  So here I am, confident that I can present this recipe so everyone is able to buy the ingredients from their local supermarkets.



Stir Fried Eggplants with Ground Beef

Ingredients

1 eggplant aubergine
1 pound of ground beef
1 stem of green onion
1 clove garlic

3/4 olive oil
1/2 cup soy sauce (up the amount if you like things salty)
1/2 cup water

Steps

1) Chop eggplants into 2 inch long, 1/2 inch wide strips
2) dice garlic
3) chop onion into 1/2 cm pieces
4) heat 1/4 cup oil in cooking pan
5) when oil is heated, stir fry ground beef first.  when just about done, scoop up and set aside
6) heat remaining oil, throw in garlic pieces first.  stir around until golden, to flavor the oil
7) throw in eggplant, stir to coat with oil; pour soy sauce over eggplant, and stir again.
8) throw in ground beef, pour water in, stir
9) turn down heat to medium, then cover.  let cook for about 10 minutes
10) eggplant should be soft, if not, let simmer covered for another 5 minutes
11) uncover and turn up heat, stir for about 2 minutes
12) scoop up, sprinkle chopped green onion on top, and serve!

The eggplants absorb all the flavor of the garlic and beef, so it's juicy and tasty. I'm confident you'll love it!  Enjoy!

Xoxo,
Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment