Sunday, February 2, 2014

Lunar New Year Outfit for Mother and Daughter

Happy Lunar New Year, everyone!

It was our annual family gathering with my In-Law's tonight.  It was great because everyone was there.  I met my husband 16 years ago, when all his cousins were all here in So Cal.  Now that everyone have their own families and jobs, a lot of them moved to the Bay Area.  They all came back for the celebration tonight.  On top of it all, all the 3rd generation kids were there as well.  So it was a happy, noisy environment tonight.

Now, for the Chinese, we believe that red brings us good luck in the Lunar New Year.  So most of us usually wear red for New Year gatherings.  This year is no different for me.  Every year I try to dress my whole family in red.  Last year I was so traditional that I actually wore a red Chi Pao (a traditional Chinese dress) to dinner.  So this year I wanted to change it up a bit.  I wanted to be a bit more edgy.  So I went for this look instead.



Hey, you can't blame a girl for trying.  The look I was going for was one of those rocker chicks with those cute high ponytails, but I couldn't get my hair teased high enough!  ;)  And please excuse the braces...they should be coming off sometime this month (I'm crossing my fingers).  So here I went for skinny black jeans and a pair of booties to make things a little more interesting.  And the cropped red jacket is my attempt on a twist on the traditional.  I accessorized my outfit with a long necklace.

And here's the low down of where you can find the stuff.  I got my red blazer from H&M, which you can find here.  My turtleneck is an old one from Nordstrom Rack; I tried to find one online like the one I'm wearing, after searching through several sites, here is the closest one I could find.  I didn't know there were that many types of turtleneck sweaters!  I like mine because it's soft, stretchy, and form fitting at the same time.  My black pants are from Paige Denim, here is a similar pair.  My booties are from Steve Madden, and here is a similar pair.  The necklace I'm wearing is from David Yurman, which you can find here.

Of course I couldn't help but dress my daughter up in the cutest little outfit.  Baby K loved her dress.  She's such a girly girl.  She loves shoes, jewelry, doing her hair, getting dressed up, getting her nails painted, and if she can wear makeup right now, she would definitely do that too.  Not like Mommy here is going to let that happen anytime soon!  We gotta preserve that beautiful porcelain skin for as long as we can!  Here's a picture of my darling little China Doll.



I bought her Chi Pao in Chinatown, but you can find all sorts of Chinese clothing at Chinasprout.com.  Here is a cute red one for little girls. Why didn't I put her in red as well?  She did wear a red Chi Pao to dinner last year, so we had to switch it up this year.  ;)  As for Baby K's hair, I first put her hair in two pigtails, then braided them each, twirled them around the bases and clipped the ends with clips.  Then I put another set of clips on the front.  My daughter reminds me of Chung Li from Street Fighter.  Remember that one?  ;)  Do they still have that game around anymore? 

Anyway, thank you for stopping by and reading this post!  As the Chinese would say to bring in prosperity in the new year - Gong Xi Fa Chai!  Good night!

Xoxo,
Lin

 

No comments:

Post a Comment